Where Do I File a Car Accident Report?

April 7, 2022 Car Accidents,Personal Injury

After a Las Vegas car accident, there are several matters that you will need to settle. You will need to seek medical attention, bring your car in for repairs, and gather evidence for your future claim. You will also need to report the accident to the appropriate authorities.

Failure to report a car accident in Nevada could lead to significant penalties. To protect your rights, it is important to speak with law enforcement officers as soon as possible following the collision.

Where Do I File a Car Accident Report?

When Do I Report an Accident to Law Enforcement?

Nevada Revised Statutes Chapter 484E details the state’s car crash reporting requirements. According to this law, you must file a report if no police officer attended the scene of the accident and the crash involved any of the following.

  • Injury to any person
  • The death of any person
  • Damage to a vehicle or any property

You must report the accident forthwith, or immediately, to the nearest Nevada Highway Patrol station or law enforcement office. If you do not report the accident, you could face a driver’s license suspension for up to one year.

When Do I Report an Accident to the Nevada DMV?

In addition to filing a police report, you may need to submit a Report of Traffic Accident (SR-1) to the Nevada Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). If the accident resulted in injury, death, or property damage of $750 or more, you will need to file the report within 10 days. 

You do not need to submit a report if the responding officer’s report contains the other driver’s contact and liability insurance details. If you are unsure whether the police report contains this information, it is best to file a DMV report to avoid a license suspension.

How to Report a Car Accident in Nevada

The simplest way to report a car accident in Nevada is to call 911 immediately and have a police officer visit the scene. The responding officer will create a crash report and forward it to the Department of Public Safety within 10 days. 

If you do not call the police, or if the police do not send an officer out, you can file a report by going to the nearest law enforcement office. To file an SR-1 with the Nevada DMV, you can download the form online and submit it via mail to the agency’s office in Carson City.

Your Legal Options after a Motor Vehicle Collision

A car accident can result in significant financial losses, as well as physical and emotional pain and suffering. If you are injured in a collision caused by another driver, you may be eligible for financial compensation. You could file an insurance claim or lawsuit against the driver and secure a settlement for medical care, lost wages, and other damages.

However, you will need to prove that the at-fault driver caused the accident and your injuries. The crash report can be a crucial piece of evidence in your claim, as well as medical records, witness statements, and traffic footage.

Whether you need a Las Vegas truck accident lawyer for a major collision involving commercial vehicles, a motorcycle accident attorney for a crash, or a wrongful death lawyer in the tragic event of losing a loved one, a Las Vegas, NV car accident lawyer can help you gather these documents and craft a compelling case for your right to compensation. After receiving medical attention, contact an attorney as soon as possible to strategize your next steps.